Bahlsen, the family-run biscuit company, is relaunching two of its indulgent treats with new brand names and packaging. First Class and Messino will now be branded “Praline Squares” and “Luxury Jaffa Cakes” respectively.

The new descriptive product name  ‘Luxury Jaffa Cakes’ is designed to help UK shoppers recognise what is behind the pack, whilst emphasising the quality taste credentials of the Jaffa cake. Similarly, ‘Praline Squares’ new descriptor will support consumer understanding of the product and drive trial amongst established Special Treat biscuit buyers. Both new product names come at a time when the Special Treat category is growing at 2.9% YOY and consumers are demanding more choice across the sector.

Luxury Jaffa Cakes are a light sponge biscuit with a full layer of zesty Italian Messino orange jelly and a delicate dark chocolate topping, ideal for sharing occasions with friends. The delicious cakes foster strong consumer loyalty, according to Bahlsen research, as 38.5% of Luxury Jaffa Cakes buyers don’t buy any other Jaffa Cake bar whilst the other 61.5% are repertoire Jaffa Cake purchasers.

Praline Squares are a delicate layer of crispy wafer and smooth praline, topped with thick indulgent chocolate. Research showed ‘significant improvement’ in product appeal with the change of name and an increased focus on what is inside the box.

Luxury Jaffa Cakes are available in 125g boxes from June exclusively in Waitrose at the RRP of £1.25. Praline Squares also come in 125g containers and will be available in Sainsbury’s and Waitrose from June at the RRP of  £1.50.

Julien Lacrampe, Trade Marketing Manager at Bahlsen comments: “With the increased growth in the Special Treats category we felt the time was right to enhance Luxury Jaffa Cakes and Praline Squares with new brand names that will help shoppers understand both products more. The new brand names will also help to drive trial amongst new shoppers bringing further growth to the sector. We look forward to rolling out the rest of the range in new packaging and providing further impetus for retailers to keep a well-stocked shelf of Bahlsen biscuits.”


Comments are closed.


To use this website, you must be aged 18 years or over
* by clicking above, I agree that I am over 18 years of age