Nurofen, the UK’s No. 1 analgesic brand1, is set to drive category growth, in a new segment, with a new range of products suitable for all ages, specifically designed to help alleviate unpleasant cold and flu symptoms. The trusted brand will introduce new products to the range and new packaging that clearly indicates each product’s ‘cold and flu’ symptom relief benefits with comprehensive on pack information to make it even easier for in-store promotion and for consumers to identify the products they need. RB UK will be launching the new Nurofen Cold and Flu range with a massive £3.5m promotional campaign that will break in October, reaching over 85% of the adult population
For Adults: Nurofen’s Cold and Flu range targets congestion and cold and flu symptoms. The GSL range, which launched in September, contains a unique Nurofen cold and flu formulation – a powerful decongestant (5mg Phenylephrine) to clear mucus whilst the ibuprofen (200mg) targets the release of pain relief messengers in the body, interrupting cold and flu symptoms2-3 including headache, fever and body pain. In addition the pain relief lasts up to eight hours*..
• Nurofen Cold and Flu Relief 200mg/5mg tablets RRP: 8’s £2.99 16’s £5.49
• Nurofen Day & Night Cold & Flu 200mg/5mg tablets RRP: 8’s £2.99 16’s £5.49
Also available from the Nurofen Cold and Flu range is a pharmacy only product for tougher symptom relief which contains maximum strength formulation ibuprofen + Pseudoephedrine, a powerful non-drowsy decongestant.
• Nurofen Cold and Flu 200mg/30mg tablets RRP: 24’s £5.99
For little ones: Nurofen for Children Cold, Pain & Fever gives mums an identifiable product for cold and flu relief for children from 3 months to 9 years (a survey of 518 of mums showed suitability as an extremely important factor when choosing a children’s medicine3). It contains ibuprofen that starts to work in 15 minutes to relieve fever and provides relief for up to 8 hours5 It has been designed to help parents nurse their child back to health tackling their symptoms of cold and flu such as fever, sore throat and body aches.
• Nurofen for Children Cold, Pain and Fever 100mg/5ml oral suspension (Orange or Strawberry) RRP: £3.99
“Nurofen is the No.1 branded product in analgesics with strong efficacy credentials, and with 27% of cold and flu sufferers reaching for an analgesic for their cold and flu this is a massive opportunity for Nurofen and for retailers. At RB we anticipate that our new range, which is on target to deliver against customer need, and our promotional strategy could see Nurofen grow the cold and category by £3m (+4%) and the Kids pain category by £0.5m (+1%) in the 2013/14 season which is really exciting.” Mark Pearson RB Category Marketing Director.
Always read the label.
1. AC Nielsen; MAT Value sales WE 22.06.13
2. Grebe W, et al. Clin Ther. 2003;25:444-458
3. Welker Y, et al. Med Mal Infect. 1998;28:1-6
4. Mum’s View Survey April 2012
5. Pelen F, Verrieiere F et al. Treatment of fever: Monotherapy with ibuprofen. Ibuprofen paediatric suspension containing 100mg per 5ml. Multi centre acceptability study conducted in hospital. Annales de Pédiatrie 1998; 45 (10): 719-728).
* with a 400mg dose of ibuprofen content
Reckitt Benckiser (RB)