Care – the UK’s number one over-the-counter healthcare brand in pharmacy (1) – is celebrating its 21st birthday this month with a record breaking year, with sales growing a significant 27% on last year.
Selling on average one product every second in the UK (2), the milestone comes at a time when Care volume is expected to exceed 15 million units sold in the UK alone by the end of 2012. Care is also having similar success overseas, now being sold in over 40 countries.
Care was first established in 1991 as a range of tried and trusted minor ailment remedies manufactured to the highest standards. Over the years, the number of products in the range has increased to 90, with a variety of established products across a wide range of categories from coughs and colds to pain relief and skin care.
Recently new products and the latest technological advances have ensured the brand offering has evolved, delivering the first clinically proven treatment for chickenpox itching and an antihistamine and steroid free hayfever treatment for all the family.
Leanne Doughty, Care senior brand manager at Thornton & Ross said: “Care is a brand built on a strong pharmacy health heritage centred on value, quality and trust. For 21 years we have supplied independent pharmacies and health retailers nationwide with an extensive range of tried and tested products and 2012 has been our best year yet! We have achieved a 23 per cent increase in annual sales, and a record breaking 30 per cent uplift for our cough category alone – making Care the third biggest cough brand in pharmacy (3). This is down to unprecedented investment in the brand which included a complete redesign of the range giving greater
stand out on shelf, and an extensive advertising, online and consumer engagement PR campaign, carrying our TLC message with the strapline ‘All the Care you need’.
“2013 promises to be bigger and better still. We will continue to invest in the Care brand with a new consumer advertising and social media campaign, and continued focus on our ‘hero’ products that include Care ViraSoothe (for children with chickenpox), Care Allergy Defence (for hayfever and other airborne allergies), Care Aqueous Emollient Cream – free from Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (for eczema and dry skin) and Care ITCHeze (for irritated, superficially reddened or itchy skin).”
Care is dedicated to supporting pharmacy and offering a valued trusted brand to help provide those ‘little TLC moments’ for all the family.
1 – IMS Volume Data (MAT Dec 2011) and Care Ex-factory Volume (MAT Dec 2011)
2 -In the UK, on average a Care product is sold every second of the pharmacy working day. Care Ex-factory Volume (MAT March 2012)
3 – IRI data, w/e 18.06.12 now shows Care as the 3rd biggest cough brand in pharmacy
21 years of Care – the facts:
- The Care range includes 90 products across the majority of family health ailments
- Overall sales for the range have increased year on year in 2012 by 27 per cent
- Care’s pain relief range has grown 47 per cent with an especially strong performance from its ibuprofen tablets and gels
- Care’s Cough range has grown 30 per cent and includes new launches Care Simple Linctus Sugar Free and Simple Linctus Paediatric Sugar Free
- Care’s cold remedy range has grown 15 per cent, with new product launches including Care Decongestant Oral Liquid and Decongestant Tablets
- Care’s topical range has grown 20 per cent, partly down to a strong performance from Care ViraSoothe Chickenpox Relief Gel, and new product launches including Care ITCHeze
- Care’s GI range has also grown 24 per cent
A brand new website www.allthecareyouneed.com was launched in 2012 – offering consumers access to information on the full range of products as well as offering a one-stop, easy-access information source for an assortment of common health complaints
A range of eye-catching point of sale materials has been created including an open/closed door sign and a window poster. These can be ordered via the Care website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Thornton & Ross – the largest independently owned pharmaceutical manufacturer, owns the Care brand and is situated in Linthwaite, Huddersfield, employing over 450 people in the UK.
The consumer advertising campaign ‘All the Care You Need’ will roll out in early 2013, created by Rainmaker advertising. The Care PR campaign will focus on promoting the innovative and seasonal products within the range and will be managed by Pegasus PR.
All the Care You Need
Care offers an extensive ‘one-stop-shop’ range of essential family health medicines including products such as Aqueous Calamine Cream, Ibuprofen gels, Pholcodine Linctus, Simple Linctus Paediatric and newly launched sugar free variants. In addition, the range offers innovative breakthrough products that include
· Care ViraSoothe Chickenpox Relief Cooling Gel: A topical gel clinically proven to help relieve the irritating symptoms of chickenpox and break the itch-scratch infection cycle
· Care Allergy DefenceNasal Spray: A unique barrier powder spray clinically proven to deliver fast, effective protection against hayfever and other airborne allergens and is suitable for all including pregnant and breastfeeding women
· Care Aqueous Emollient Cream: This SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) free formulation acts as a 2 in 1 emollient and soap substitute and adds water to the skin for the treatment of dry skin conditions
· Care ItchEze Cooling Gel: A cooling gel to cool and soothe irritated, superficially reddened or itchy skin. Now available in gel and spray gel formats, helping to reduce itching and discomfort, for use on children from 6 months old.
Products across the Care range are available from UK pharmacies nationwide.
About Thornton & Ross
Founded in 1922, Thornton & Ross Ltd is the largest independent pharmaceutical manufacturer in the UK. From a base in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, Thornton & Rossdevelop, manufacture and supply a growing portfolio of healthcare products including leading brands such as Covonia, Hedrin, Setlers and Cerumol.
Thornton & Ross
01484 842 217