Turkey is set to remain the number one choice this Christmas says Bernard Matthews Farms. Last year 6 million households enjoyed turkey across the Christmas period and the company’s Marketing Director, Matt Pullen, believes that in this cost-conscious climate, turkey will be even more popular this year.
“Consumers will still be watching their budgets this Christmas”, he says, “but they’re not going to do without the festive family meal. Compared to other meats, turkey offers great value for money as well as tradition and great taste, and it’s one of the healthiest proteins available.”
Adding in the traditional Christmas vegetables and trimmings, a family gathering of 16 can eat for only £4 a head, with plenty of turkey left over for great tasting meals for the rest of the festive holiday. Frozen turkey brings the added benefit of convenience. It can be bought in advance and stored in the freezer, removing one chore from the Christmas list and helping to spread the cost.
Under its familiar Golden Norfolk Turkey banner, Bernard Matthews Farms provides an extensive frozen turkey range including whole birds in a variety of sizes from Mini to Extra Large, plus crowns and joints, basted and stuffed, to suit all family sizes, tastes, budgets and festive eating occasions. Available for over three decades, Golden Norfolk Turkey is the top selling whole frozen bird and for many British families has been the whole bird of choice, year after year.
This year’s tasty new additions include: a unique Turkey Ballotine with Apricot and Date Stuffing, Turkey Roulade with Sage, Roast Onion and Apple Seasoning, and Herb Basted Turkey Crown. Like all Bernard Matthews Farms products, they are made from 100% British turkey from the company’s own Quality British Turkey and Red Tractor certified farms in Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincolnshire.
The company is running a consumer PR campaign in women’s press and a Christmas-specific website, www.bernardmatthewsfarms.com/christmas. Available on the site is a downloadable booklet, ‘The Merry Little Book of Christmas Dinners’, with top tips for cooking and serving the perfect turkey, as well tasty recipes for accompaniment leftovers.
Says Matt Pullen: “We always look forward to the Christmas Day meal because here in Britain Christmas means turkey and Bernard Matthews Farms is the UK’s no. 1 brand in turkey.
“This year, we’re confident that many British households will have a Bernard Matthews Farms Golden Norfolk Turkey at the heart of the Christmas table, not only because of the quality, taste and convenience of our offer, but also because our frozen range can help to spread the cost of Christmas. And that’s always an important consideration but even more so this year.”
***NEW FOR THIS YEAR***
• Golden Norfolk Turkey Ballotine with Apricot and Date Stuffing (2kg) A blend of dark and light meat, with apricot and date stuffing and garnished with maple cure bacon, prunes, apricots and bay leaves; serves 8-10 for £1.50 – £1.67 per head
• Golden Norfolk Turkey Roulade with Sage, Roast Onion and Apple Seasoning (600g) Ideal for small gatherings, made from marinaded turkey flavoured with sage, onion and apple; serves 4 for £1.25 a head
• Golden Norfolk Herb Basted Turkey Crown (2 – 2.3kg) A boneless, easy-to-carve joint basted with rosemary and thyme; serves 5-7 for £2.14 – £3.00 a head
Bernard Matthews Farms Frozen Norfolk Turkey range also includes:
• Golden Norfolk Turkey
• Golden Norfolk Herb Basted Turkey
• Golden Norfolk Free Range Turkey
• Free Range Butter Basted Golden Norfolk Turkey Breast
• Golden Norfolk Butter Basted Turkey Breast Joint
2008 CHRISTMAS MARKET DATA
• In the frozen category whole turkeys accounted for 49% of all units sold, with crowns at 14% and joints at 37% (IRI 8 wks ending 27 Dec 08)
• 6 million GB households purchased turkey across the Christmas period (TNS 8 wks ending 28 Dec 08)
• 1.69 million households bought a frozen whole turkey in 2008, showing a 2% increase YoY (IRI 8 wk ending 27 Dec 08)
• Bernard Matthews Farms had 61% volume share of total frozen turkey; 66% volume share of frozen whole birds; 72% value share of frozen crowns (IRI 8 wk ending 27 Dec 08)
• Bernard Matthews Farms share of frozen whole turkeys rose by 22% last year (IRI 8 wk ending 27 Dec 08)
• Nearly 1million frozen turkeys purchased last year were a Bernard Matthews Farms Golden Norfolk Turkey, with sales increasing in 2008 by 26% (IRI 8 wk ending 27 Dec 08)
Bernard Matthews Farms
Tel: 01603 872611