The shortlist for the British Turkey Awards 2011 has been decided and the winning results are a closely guarded secret. Innovation and convenience were very much at the forefront and this was reflected in the Best Meal Solution category when Turkey Breast Fillets with Jalapeno Peppers & Monterey Jack Cheese vied with Turkey Meatballs and Hot and Spicy Turkey Steaks. While in the Best Innovation category Marco’s Wild Mushroom Crust Turkey Steaks with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Turkey Breast Strips with Red Pepper, Pack Choi, Red Onion in a Ginger Marinade and Spiced Turkey Koftas went head to head.
The independent panel of judges tasted their way through 12 whole roast turkeys before choosing three finalists for the Best Christmas Traditional trophy. They scrutinised 30 shortlisted turkey products in total before choosing the winners of categories including Best Christmas Convenience Product and Best Ready-to-Eat.
The judging panel was headed up by Lara Nugent, Food Editor of Best magazine, Lee Maycock, Chef Consultant for the Craft Guild of Chefs and three consumers who won a place on the panel via the British Turkey website.
The judges tasted their way through 10 different categories commenting on taste, value for money and suitability for the target market.
Lorna Cousins, Chair of the British Turkey Federation’s marketing committee, said: “Judging this year was no easy task. Manufacturers are producing some really great products in all the sectors. Turkey is of course the perfect meat for Christmas and carveries, but categories like Best Ready-to-Eat and Best Meal Solution ensure turkey is a regular contender in the weekly shop. The vast range and continual innovation of British turkey products is truly highlighted in the awards shortlist.”
Winners of each category, plus the top accolade of Retailer of the Year, will be announced at a gala dinner on 22nd September at The UnderGlobe, Shakespeare’s Globe, London.
Lara Nugent, Food Editor, Best magazine
Lee Maycock, Craft Guild of Chefs
Lisa Maps, consumer
Sue Kirk, consumer
Jenny James, consumer
British Turkey Awards shortlist 2011
Best Meal Solution
• Asda – Turkey Breast Fillets with Jalapeno Peppers & Monterey Jack Cheese
• Asda – Turkey Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
• Morrisons – Hot & Spicy Turkey Steaks
Best Innovative Product
• Bernard Matthews Farms – Marco’s Wild Mushroom Crust Turkey Steaks with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
• Sainsbury’s – Turkey Breast Strips with Red Pepper, Pak Choi, Red Onion and a Ginger, Coriander and Chilli Marinade
• Asda- Spiced Turkey Kofta Kebabs with Mint & Yoghurt Dressing
Best Catering Product
• Parkam Chilled Foods – Haycliffe Farm Easy Carve Breast
• The UK Foodhall – Cooked Sliced British Turkey Breast in Stock
• Snowbird Foods Ltd – Christmas Crackers
Best Ready to eat Product
• Sainsbury’s – Applewood Smoked Carvery Turkey
• Asda – Extra Special Cherrywood Smoked Turkey
• Co-op – Truly Irresistible Free Range Butter Basted Turkey Breast
Best Christmas Convenience Product
• Morrisons – Luxury Turkey Crown
• Tesco – Finest Free Range Turkey Butterfly Joint with Pork, Roasted Shallot and Herb Stuffing and a Pork and Winter Fruit Stuffing
• Sainsbury’s Free Range Bronze Turkey Breast Joint with Roast Chestnut Stuffing
• Waitrose Free Range Bronze Turkey
• Waitrose – Fresh “Plumpie” Free Range Turkey
• Kelly Turkeys – KellyBronze Turkey
Retailer of the Year