Cash management, along with labour management, is one of the most difficult and time-consuming activities that quick service restaurants face. For a quick service Chinese restaurant that has become the fastest-growing chain within the Asian cuisine segment of the restaurant industry, the challenge was considerable.
The privately owned company has more than 1100 restaurants across two continents and serves up thousands of meals every day, resulting in vast numbers of cash transactions. Historically, the restaurants were manually counting all cash for till closures and deposits, which took an excessive amount of time and resulted in inaccurate counting. End of shift till closures were taking so much time that in many cases the tills were not even getting counted, causing management significant frustration. To help streamline administration of all of their cash and ensure count accuracy, for the past 10 years the company has been relying on cash management tools from Tellermate for each of its restaurants.
“We did a time study and found that it took an average of 10 to 15 minutes for each cashier to manually count up his or her till at the end of a shift,” said the chain’s Director of Audit. “With the Tellermate machine, we save about 8 to 12 minutes per cashier plus there are far fewer errors, making it critical for both labour-savings and accuracy. The labour-time savings for our cashiers and managers has resulted in a direct cost savings for our company. Tellermate provides not only accurate and efficient counts for our tills and deposits but it also enhances our security and cash controls. The print outs from the Tellermate machines enable individual accountability, which has a very positive impact on our business.”
The strong relationship that the restaurant chain and Tellermate have developed over the past ten years has proved to be invaluable. “Even when we evaluated other companies against Tellermate, the relationship, service and support that Tellermate continually provides us always puts them at the top.”
TECHNOLOGY BENEFITS :
• Counts a till drawer and resets a float in under a minute. Faster shift handovers when each manager needs to count and refloat tills and the back office safe in order to sign for the cash on site.
• Within a high cash take and low stock control environment, Tellermate provides tighter control and more auditable counts. Fast spot-checks at the tills deter employee theft and a link to a printer enables quick and easy production of mini reports for accountability and an audit trail.
• Easy to use directional controls and selection keys minimise staff training, and the large backlit graphic display makes the machines visible in all light conditions. Service cover includes staff training for new recruits.
• Can be customised to fit customer’s terminology and processes and can be consistently replicated throughout corporate and franchise locations world wide, supported by local customer service.
• Robust, splash resistant design, intelligent technology that prevents air vapours impacting on count accuracy and a comprehensive aftersales service package to cover tough working conditions.