Jersey Black Butter is a very old and traditional farm-house delicacy of Jersey, and the product is important not only in gastronomic terms, but as a constituent of the now declining, traditional rural culture of the Island.
Between 1600 and 1700, twenty percent of Jersey’s arable land was made up of orchards. Cider was made by farmers to give to their staff, making up part of their wages. A great tradition that exists as a result of Jersey’s proliferation of apples is the production of ‘black butter’ or ‘Le Niere Buerre’. Production of the butter is a very popular community event following each winter crop with traditional singing, dancing, storytelling and chatting going on into the early hours of the morning.
La Mare invested two years perfecting this century’s old recipe in their kitchens and locals have rated it as one of the best they have ever tasted!
La Mare Estate Jersey Black Butter Product
Jersey Black Butter has resulted in a strong provenance with the island of Jersey and is made using a traditional Jersey recipe, without any additives, using apples, cider, lemons, sugar, liquorice, mixed spice and cinnamon.
The jammy conserve is a perfect breakfast/snack accompaniment in its own right, as a condiment and also can used as an ingredient in a wide range of recipes, for both sweet and savoury dishes
La Mare Jersey Black Butter was awarded 3 gold stars at the Great Taste Awards 2009.
Suggested Recipe Uses
• Spread it over freshly baked bread, scones with cream or on toast. It is perfect to use instead of Jam for a premium ‘Jersey Cream Tea’ experience.
• Apple Crumble, Soufflé, Black Butter Ice-Cream. Jersey Dairy use La Mare’s Jersey Black Butter to produce Apple & Cinnamon ice cream. Fillings for Puddings. We add Black Butter to our Xmas Puddings and Xmas Cakes.
• Condiments for cold meats, stuffing for pork chicken and compliments fowl and game as well as an ingredient for sauces. It is also used like chutney as an accompaniment to Cheese.
• La Mare also produces a Jersey Black Butter Fudge, Jersey Black Butter Biscuits and handmade Jersey Black Butter Chocolates.
• Jersey Black Butter has been described by one national journalist as ‘Christmas in a jar’.
Tel: 01534 481178