Codorníu, the producers of Spain’s most sumptuous Cava, is recommending four of its special liquids for consumers to celebrate this Christmas. As festive celebrations look set to resume, why not treat your taste buds to something a little different, venture to Spain for a spicy celebration with these four iconic wines from Codorníu.

Codorníu dates back more than 450 years, steeped in rich history, Codorníu is the oldest family-owned business in Spain, and the first vineyard to produce Cava. In 1872, Josep Raventós redirected the family business and became a cava pioneer when he produced the first bottle of sparkling wine, applying the Traditional Method to a combination of traditional Penedès varieties: Xarel·lo, Macabeo and Parellada

Its deep roots as a key player within the Cava scene has made the brand one of the most recognised names in the business. As bestselling Cava brand in Spain, and present in over 50 countries this is the fizz you need to know about. And, if you haven’t heard of it already, here is your chance!

The Codorníu Non-Vintage Brut is a traditional Cava from Codorníu. Made from the traditional grape varieties Macabeu, Xarel·lo and Parellada, this fizz has a fine elegant mousse and some very pale straw yellow shades. As an accompaniment to dried fruits and nuts, the Codorníu Non-Vintage Brut is the ideal drink to pair with after dinner treats. This fizz leaves a fresh aftertaste perfectly refreshing for after dinner.

Sainsbury’s, £8

The Codorníu Vintage Brut is the perfect introduction to the category. A traditional, flagship cuvée for Codorníu made from the classic local varieties passed down through the history of cava. This wine combines three different grape varieties: Macabeo, Xarel.lo and Parellada, to get a fresh and savoury sparkling. This tasty wine pairs beautifully with tapas. For a Spanish twist to Christmas, why not taste it with ham and cheese croquetas? The tasty, deep-fried bites can be made ahead from frozen for perfect no-fuss entertainment. The fine mousse and balanced freshness on the palate granted from the Vintage Brut is ideal to compliment any rich taste from the croquetas.

Morrison’s £11.00

For the more adventurous explorer, the Anna de Codorníu Brut is an excellent example of everything that Codorníu represents history, versatility and brilliance. This wine is made from 70% Chardonnay, with Macbeo, Xaerlo, and Parellada grapes forming the remaining 30%. It is beautiful on the eyes with its pale straw yellow and clean and brilliant appeal. Meanwhile, it has fine bubbles and continuous beads and a persistent mousse perfect for a smooth silky drink to mark the start of any festive celebration! The Anna de Codorníu Brut is the Cava to drink as an aperitif. It can also be enjoyed with sushi or light spiced carpaccio for the more exotic tastebuds.

Waitrose, £11.99

Meanwhile, for a variation of the traditional Cava taste and feel, why not try the more premium Codorníu Ars Collecta Blanc de Noirs? Its main grape variety is Pinot Noir from Costers del Segre for an intense fizzy experience. This wine has a much smaller production, and is made from top quality pinot noir grapes. It is aged for a lot longer contributing to its intense mouth feel with beautiful and velvety flavours on the palate. It matches perfectly with seafood, or red fruit desserts.

Hedonism, £19.80

Comments are closed.


To use this website, you must be aged 18 years or over
* by clicking above, I agree that I am over 18 years of age