Products entered into the British Turkey Awards 2013 have now been shortlisted and samples called in for judging. The twelve retailer and catering categories range from Best Foodservice and Best Ready-to-Eat Product to Best Meal Solution, plus three different Christmas categories – Best Christmas Convenience, Traditional and Premium Product. The Multiples will compete to win the ultimate British Turkey Retailer of the Year title with their fresh primary turkey portions sold all year round.
NPD is evident this year with recently launched products such as East River Smokehouse Co. Kentucky Spiced Turkey Breast and BBQ and Chipotle Chilli Turkey Burgers in the Best Innovation category; and NUME Turkey Meatballs by Morrisons healthy eating range and Bernard Matthews British Turkey Numbers in the Best Meal Solution category, reflecting demand for new flavour profiles and convenience.
Christmas categories are split to differentiate the range of turkeys available to consumers to suit all budgets and tastes. The Best Premium turkeys are special breed, slow grown; Best Traditional are primary, white and predominantly sold through supermarkets, and Best Christmas Convenience targets busy shoppers who want a hassle-free option – these are boneless joints which come with stuffings, toppings and festive garnishes to make the Big Day run smoothly.
The Foodservice category is also split for 2013, with two awards for Profit and Cost Sector products which the panel of four independent judges will taste and score using set criteria, including suitability for target market, flavour and appearance. Other categories will be judged separately – Foodservice Operator of the Year, Best Dietitian Recipe and Best Blogger Recipe.
Chair of Judges is Ceri James, acting Editor of Great British Food magazine, and she will be joined by Sheila Eggleston, editor of Stockpot magazine, Lee Maycock, vice chairman of the Craft Guild of Chefs and a member of the public, Karen Dow, who won a place on the panel via the British Turkey website.
Nicola Compton, chair of the British Turkey Federation’s publicity and marketing committee, said: “It’s great to see the producers are still coming up with new and exciting products all year round. Although Christmas is of course a key time, it isn’t a meat just for Christmas consumption. As well as being tasty, versatile and readily available in the retailers, turkey also has nutritional benefits as the breast is low in saturated fat, so it is also a healthy option too.”
Winners of each category will be announced at a gala dinner on 19th September at The Savoy, London.
Ceri James, Great British Food
Lee Maycock, Craft Guild of Chefs
Sheila Eggleston, Stockpot
Karen Dow, a consumer
Best Meal Solution
• Morrisons NUME Turkey Meatballs
• Bernard Matthews – British Turkey Numbers
• By Sainsbury’s Just Cook BBQ Turkey Thigh with a lime & Chilli BBQ Sauce
Best Christmas Convenience Product
• The Co-operative Free Range Bronze Turkey Joint with Winterfruit Stuffing topped with Bacon
• Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference Norfolk Black Free Range Turkey Breast Joint with a pork, Chestnut, Bacon and Thyme Stuffing
• Morrisons Nigel Haworth Butter Basted Turkey Joint Topped with a Mustard and Herb Seasoned Crumb
• By Sainsbury’s Stock Basted Turkey Breast Joint with Cranberry, Apricot and Cherry Topping
Best Christmas Traditional Product
• Aldi Ashfield Farm Medium British Turkey
• Morrisons Whole British Turkey (unbasted)
• Lincs Turkeys Fresh Lincolnshire Turkey
Best Christmas Premium Product
• Duchy Originals for Waitrose Organic Whole Turkey
• Grove Smith Turkeys English Rose Bronze Free Range Turkey
• Gressingham Foods Dry Aged Bronze Turkey (sold in Tesco)
• The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Free Range Whole Turkey
• East River Smokehouse Co. Kentucky Spiced Turkey Breast
• Bernard Matthews British Turkey Numbers
• Tesco 4 Chipotle Chilli and BBQ Turkey Burgers
Best Foodservice Product for Cost Sector
• Grove Smith Turkey Escalopes
• The UK Foodhall Ltd Ready to Roast British Turkey Breast 2×1.5kg
• Bernard Matthews Foodservice Big Green Tick Roast Turkey Breast Chunks
Best Foodservice Product for Profit Sector
• Lincs Turkeys Fresh Free-Range Turkey Breast Joint
• Grove Smith English Rose Turkey Hen Crown
• Bernard Matthews Foodservice American Smokehouse Hickory Smoked Flavoured Pulled Turkey Thigh
Best Ready-to-Eat Product – one more to come
• Lincs Turkeys “Easy Carve” Lincolnshire Free-Range Turkey Saddle
• East River Smokehouse Co. Tennessee hickory Smoked Turkey Breast
• Sainsbury’s Deli Counters Carvery Roast Turkey
Retailer of the Year
• The Co-operative
Tel: 0800 783 9994