The World Foods Association has announced that the 4th annual World Food Awards are now accepting entries for the 2012 ceremony – one of the most prestigious events on the ethnic food calendar. The World Food Awards, which attract the cream of the industry and showcase the very best the sector has to offer, will take place on Friday 2nd November at London’s prestigious Lancaster London Hotel.
The World Foods Association, organisers of the awards also highlighted a shake-up in the categories this year, with a total of ten awards being presented on the evening
- Best New Product of the Year – NEW CATEGORY
- Food or Drink Product of the Year – NEW CATEGORY
- Best Packaging of the Year
- Wholesaler of the Year/Catering Supplier of the Year – NEW CATEGORY
- Marketing Campaign of the Year
- National Retailer of the Year
- Exporter of the Year – NEW CATEGORY
- Restaurant of the Year
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award
The World Food Awards are open exclusively to companies specialising, promoting or stocking products from the following communities: Asian, Oriental, African, Afro-Caribbean, European, East-European, Middle Eastern, South American and Mediterranean. The closing date for this year’s entries is Tuesday 31st July, 2012.
Last year’s Awards saw the likes of supermarket giant Tesco, leading eatery Hakkasan and exotic drinks brand Rubicon, amongst a host of other well known and respected brands from the word foods sector, walking away with the highly coveted awards.
Harry Dulai, one of the World Foods Association’s founding supporters, said: “This event has proved an amazing success with our industry, quickly attracting the who’s who of the world food sector – a clear sign to me that an event to honour the achievements of this thriving sector was long overdue. By refining our existing categories and introducing new categories we hope that the World Food Awards will this year, receive even more entries.”
Hosted by comedy legend Lenny Henry, last year’s Awards featured a glittering array of celebrity guests including chefs Ken Hom, Rob Billington, Anjum Anand and Ravinder Bhogal, as well as actor Nitin Ganatra, director Gurinder Chadha, singer Simon Webbe and sporting legends, Denise Lewis and Chris Eubank.
The World Foods Association has also reconfirmed that the Star Network will again be supporting the event as the official media partner to host this year’s much anticipated event.
Yeshpal Sharma, Vice President for Star UK & Europe said: “We are delighted to be hosting these fantastic Awards again this year. There are hundreds, if not thousands of companies that deserve to be recognised for the impact they have made on the cultural landscape of Britain and it is a pleasure to see so many of them coming forward to participate in the World Food Awards.”
Through this exciting partnership with the Star Network, the World Food Awards 2012 will be broadcast globally to a vast audience. The event will again feature a glittering line-up, including performances from leading artists and a host of celebrities, food personalities and acclaimed chefs to present the awards.
This year’s high-profile judging panel consists of some of the UK’s most respected industry experts, including Adam Leyland, Editor of The Grocer, Simon Numphud, Head of AA inspectors and Mintel’s Director of Innovation & Insight David Jago.
KPMG’s Sheel Gill will again audit the judge’s results to ensure complete confidence in the judging process.
For further details and to download the entry forms please visit: www.worldfoodawards.com
Or for the latest news, as it happens, follow us on:
About the World Food Awards
The World Food Awards 2012 (WFA) is an annual event that celebrates the best in the world food sector across the UK and marks the significant contribution of this rapidly growing sector
The full list of winners for the 3rd Annual Food Awards in October 2011 were:
ASDA Product of the Year: Jammin by Tesco
Morrisons Best Packaging of the Year: Marley’s Mellow Moods
Wholesaler of the Year: Elbrook Cash & Carry
Jaguar Marketing Campaign of the Yr: Rubicon – Summer of Cricket
Madhus Catering Supplier of the Yr: JJ Food Service
Rajah Independent Retailer of the Yr: Quality Foods
East End Foods National Retailer of the Yr: Tesco
Chak 89 Restaurant of the Yr: Hakkasan
Star Network Entrepreneur of the Yr: Huseyin Ozer, Ozer Restaurants
Patak’s Lifetime Achievement Award: Mr Stanley Kwai Tsun Tse, See Woo Group
- The World Food Awards 2012 will be broadcast on Star Network to an audience of millions
- Star is a leading media and entertainment company in Asia, broadcasting over 60 television services in 13 languages to more than 300 million viewers across Asia alone. Star and its joint venture channels cover all genres including general entertainment, sports, movies, music and news and current affairs.
- Star Plus is officially the No.1 Hindi General Entertainment Channel in the UK. Star Gold is the No.1 Bollywood movie Channel in the UK (Source: BARB – Broadcasters Audience Research Board)
- The awards are the flagship event of the World Foods Association (WFA), representing UK companies that operate in the markets of ethnic food service, covering products from Asian, Oriental, African, Afro-Caribbean, European, East-European, Middle Eastern, South American and Mediterranean countries.
- The World Foods Association’s mission is to bring together the world food market and become the leading voice of the UK world food industry for the mutual benefit of all businesses operating in the sector – from food manufacturers to importers alike.