Republic Technologies (UK) Ltd is relaunching its matches’ range in a major overhaul that includes a new focus on the UK’s most wellknown and most purchased match brands, new packaging and a category-boosting extension to one of the UK’s most iconic brands. General Sales Manager Gavin Anderson describes the relaunch as ‘one of the biggest initiatives seen in the UK’s £23+ million*1 matches market for decades, reenergising a category where sales have been declining and both innovation and creativity have been diminished’.
The relaunch includes modernising core brands to appeal to a broader, younger audience, focusing on the key attributes of heritage, quality and reliability and explicitly reflecting trends in candles, outdoor living, wood burning fires and general in-home usage.
In addition, the move will reflect the growing appeal of sustainability and increased demand for ecofriendly matches, following the removal of all Strike Anywhere match formats from Republic Technologies’ range.
Key elements of the relaunch include:
• Modernisation of the iconic Swan Vestas brand with a more contemporary image and a new, minimalist back of pack design, featuring impactful sustainability messaging
• The introduction of a pocketsize Swan match, with a vibrant new colour scheme for additional shelf standout
• A celebrity chef partnership with Tom Kerridge for new-look Cook’s Matches, including a collection of delicious and inspiring back of pack recipes for today’s modern ‘foodie’ era
• A new pack design for ‘Extra Long’ Bryant and May matches, reinforcing the product’s positioning as ideal for lighting candles, open fires, log burners and BBQs, with new back of pack imagery reflecting key usage occasions and vibrant outer trays for better standout on shelf
• Modernisation of Ship Matches, with a simplified, but striking design and more prominence given to ‘Ship’ branding “We’re confident that such a comprehensive move involving some of Britain’s best-known match brands will reinvigorate the category, enabling retailers to boost profits by aligning specific match brands to different usage occasions,” adds Anderson.
The matches’ relaunch will be backed by a major consumer PR and marketing programme throughout the summer (more details to follow).
*1 Republic Technologies estimate based on import figures